Friday, September 7, 2012

TGIF!

Happy Friday! Most of you are asleep, but I have been up and about, beginning my day. I woke up thinking about someone important to me who is busy cleaning up from the floods in New Orleans. So, I decided to have a breakfast inspired and provided by her. My dear niece brought me some Blue Runner Beans on her last visit to us before we left. They are Creole style beans, and I love them. She brought me a box of eight cans, and I saved them to bring with us to Africa. I knew that I would want these special beans, that were from her, while I was here. So, I made a burrito out of them for breakfast, and they were good.  Thanks Steph!


I also took some to the guard. That is another part of our day. We make sure the guard has drinking water, and food. They always get a huge smile when we offer them a plate. It's nice to share.

The next couple of hours I spent cooking. Yes, the earlier in the kitchen, the better. It gets warm in the kitchen as the day goes on, so I like to get things started early. Then I can clean up (dishes by hand you know), and have the heavy work done before it gets too warm. Today I had a lot of veggies that needed cooked up before we get a new batch tomorrow. So, I'm simmering green beans and onions, steamed some broccoli to make some creamy broccoli soup, and making a big pot of spaghetti sauce with  lots of veggies.



I'm so thankful to my mom that she taught me to cook from a very early age. Cooking from scratch here is a necessity, and without her teachings, I could not make it. Thanks Mom!

Tonight will be a special treat. Don and I get to go to a gathering with some special guests. I'm looking forward to getting out and meeting new people. It should be fun. I'm also looking forward to the bus tour tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some good pictures to share. Until then, have a great Friday. TGIF!

2 comments:

  1. I glad to know that you guys are doing well and settling in!! Miss You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue runner beans... never heard of them, but will be looking for them.

    We will be shipping you a dishwasher soon, honey!

    You have me feening for some green beans now. Thanks alot.

    Glad all is going well. The bus tour should be fun!

    ReplyDelete