Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week 4

It's been four weeks since we arrived. It's strange how time flies. We are settling in well. We have almost all of the boxes unpacked, and we have finally ordered a car. It will be great to have some wheels when I need to go out. I do not mind the walk to the grocery, but that's about it for where I can go without a car.

 I went into the city today for a meeting, courtesy of the motorpool. I see so many things that I could write about, and often wish I could just  snap pictures like a tourist, but that might seem rude. It might seem like I am making a spectacle out of their life here. After all, we are just guests in their country, on their turf.

I've been asked by a few friends to describe my everyday life here. It's really a lot like my life in the states. We get up, do things around the house, go to school, get groceries,etc. Really, living anywhere in the world just becomes your own normal. Eventually I will get a job, and that will become part of my routine. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying not having a strict schedule.

The things that are different are just hard to explain without pictures, or without you seeing it for yourself. I'll have to work on getting some pictures that would not be too personal. I want you to see the traffic. The chaos of the traffic! The Bodas (motorcycles) weaving in and out, the people darting across the road as many people do not drive, but walk everywhere, and the lack of formed lanes. It's amazing to see the reflexes these folks have. When you are watching, you are just sure someone is about to get creamed, and then, they emerge from the traffic unscaved. I'm watching all of this chaos when I really need to be taking notes and paying attention to directions so that I can drive myself when we get our car. Oh well, there is just too much to see. Too much to take in. I want to take it ALL in!

Today I had a special treat. When I arrived home from my meeting, we had a huge chicken pizza that our wonderful cook prepared for us. We had been told about her amazing pizzas, and I asked her if she would prepare that for our dinner. I couldn't believe something this wonderful could come from a my kitchen. She must be heaven sent, and I am so thankful for her and her help.





We also had received several boxes of items we had ordered. We are learning to do a lot of our non-perishable grocery shopping on-line. It's an amazing thing to be able to order almost anything you want, with the exception of liquid, because there are strict guidelines to ordering liquids through our mail service. We do not want to mess up our privileges, so we are careful about following those rules.

I can't believe how quickly this week has gone. The weekend is almost here, and I am taking a bus tour of Kampala on Saturday. I am ready to see some sights, learn some history, and eventually get my hands dirty.

I hope you have a great weekend, I plan to.

1 comment: