Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lazy Weekend

Hello everyone. It has been a lazy weekend after a busy week of unpacking our personal goods. It is so nice to have our stuff, and make our house look like home. It also included some of our favorite foods that we could have shipped. It is nice being able to cook some of the things we like to eat, and some of it is easier and more convenient than we can get here.

We have stayed home most of the weekend since we are still in the process of getting a car, so we do not have our own transportation. It's weird not being able to just go get in your car and head out to wherever you want. We arrived here a little late to get any of the reasonably priced cars from other expats rotating out of Uganda. The options left were higher priced, and manual transmission. As if driving here will not be challenging enough, I'm certainly not going to throw in dealing with a stick shift. So, we have chosen a car to order, and will have to place the order this week. I guess it will be a few months before we see it, but that's fine. I have learned that I have to ask, and rely on the generosity of others to give us rides. We can also walk to the store, so it's really not a big deal. They offer shuttles to work locations so it's not really difficult to get around when we have to.

I have also had the opportunity to hire help for the house and cooking. She is AMAZING! My favorite thing she does is to go to the market for me to get fresh produce. Much fresher and cheaper than I can get at the grocery store up the hill. Not to mention the fact that I have to figure out the whole schillings thing. Since schillings are spent in hundreds and thousands, it's shocking to go to the register and hear "that will be 100,000!!!" It's only about 35-40 bucks, but sounds just freakishly high at the time. So, I give her some money, tell her what we like, and she shows up the next day with this....


She even cleans it, arranges it all cute, and puts it away if needed. I love her!

Side note; did anyone get to see the "blue moon" Friday night? Apparently, we only get two full moons in a month, every few years. Thus the phrase "once in a blue moon". So, this was one of those years, and we got to see it when we were walking home from an evening out at the grill up the hill. It's the one night a week we do that. I hope you got to see it too.

Have a great week. I plan to. :)

2 comments:

  1. Those veggies look so fresh... My eyes are glazing over at the sight of them, lol.

    I didn't see the "blue moon" the other night. I don't know much about them, just that they are rare. Glad you got a chance to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady lee I knew the sight if those veggies would get your attention. The mangos are amazing. I keep thinking I need to do a little pesticides analysis on them lol.

    ReplyDelete