Monday, October 22, 2012

So what's going on in your world?

Good morning, or good night to most of you. It's weird being 7 to 8 hours ahead of most of my friends and family. I finish my day when you are beginning yours. So, if you ever want to know how your day is going to go, give me a shout.

I haven't posted in a while. I guess I don't feel like anything eventful has happened, so I didn't want to bore everyone. But, I felt like it was time to catch up. Life here has been going well. We are completely settled in, and enjoying helping others settle in by hosting a dinner, or going out to one of the local places to eat. We have friends that are still waiting for their shipment of personal goods, and we know how difficult it is when you do not have your house settled into a home yet.

It's amazing to me how "small town" it is for us here. We run into people we know more often than we ever did in the states. I guess it's because we all stand out in the crowd.

We have been able to check out some of the markets, which was very interesting. A large grouping of makeshift stalls with no floors. The merchandise is generally used items that were likely donated at some point, then purchased to be re-sold. It is the ultimate form of recycling. Nothing goes to waste. I kept expecting to see something that I had donated to the Salvation Army or somewhere like it. I really wanted to get some skirts. Although the weather is nice here, it can get a little warm and humid. Shorts for woman are not really acceptable, so pants, even capris, can get a little warm. So, I had planned to check out some knee length skirts. I did look at a few, but it was just a little overwhelming for my first time. So, maybe next time.

Another exciting thing that I have done; I got my hair cut and colored. Now most of you may think that is not earth shattering news, but if you were here, you would understand why this is such a big deal. I was not sure if there would be anyone that would know how to deal with Mazunga hair. So, I asked one of my new friends, an American that has lived here for several years, and she took me to an amazing salon. I wasn't sure if I could wait 3 months until I traveled back to the states. Anyway, it was just in time, because I got a job offer, and will start soon. So, it's nice to have a fresh look to start my new job.

Well, enough about me. I would love to hear about all of you. How are things going where you are? What's new for you? So please, leave a comment and update me on your world.

3 comments:

  1. We are getting ready for Halloween. Nick is going to be a zombie with a knife through his head. Michaela is going to be a witch this year. Nick wants Ann and I to also be zombies but we have to see. Congratuation on your new job. How's Halloween there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew, so glad to hear from you. I think you should join the kids as zombies. It would be fun. If you do, post a picture. I am not sure about Halloween. I do not think that gate to gate is an option, and my kids are grown, so I'll see what those who have little ones do, and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh Hair! AND a New Job! Congrats!

    Nothing much is going on over here. Like I told you, I need to come over there with you! Tired of the election mojo!

    ReplyDelete